Monday, July 19, 2010

An Architecture of the Seven Senses...


Talking about this topic, in the first place, senses are important, not only for architecture building, but in our life as well, we need senses to feel the surrounding, to taste, to smell, to hear and to touch.

In this topic, an architecture of the seven senses consist of building, structure and even landscape. To build a high rise building or even a small project, senses are important and it play important roles in building it. Through my experience, the architecture building that has leave great experience to me is my elementary school, SRJK (C) Kepong 2. It was the school that grown me up and gave me the basic education.

Basically, when i first step into this school, the first thing i could see is the big entrance hall which gave me the feeling of height and wide space. The space were surrounded with big column and the floor with just cement finishes. Every monday we will have an assembly in the hall, and i still remember i can smell the "freshness" of the concrete and cement material which lay on the floor, and sometimes there were few pot holes on the floor which i always like to touch it to feel the sandy texture of the cement flooring, and that makes me automatically to know that isn't a thing to play with because it cause dusty. But when in the library, the flooring were made of marble tiles, and it gave me the feeling of licking it because it was so smooth and shinny, hence, i know how to differentiate the type of material. What makes me to feel that the place i studied is a school is the noise that made, for example, whenever my teacher wrote on the blackboard made me think back of the studying life in primary school, the chalk that cause the sound on the blackboard. Senses are not only can be touch, smell, hear, see, talk, but there are other senses can be taken, which is logic, whenever i hear the sound of the chalk writing on the blackboard, it will reflect back it is school that will have such scenery.

Peter-John Cantrill and Rebecca Maxwell had given their opinion of senses of architecture through their interview with Alan Saunders. "I find that when I see a well-weathered building, that's what delights me, and when I see a building that's kind of caught in its moment of conception and destined never to change, I'm a little saddened." This shows that Peter-John Cantrill prefer a solid and strong building that can stand longer by looking at it.http://www.ebility.com/articles/beyondappearances.php

Last but not least, I do hope everyone can appreciate the building by not just looking at it and judge by its cover, but to use all the senses to feel the uniqueness of the architecture. Seek and explore more on the structure and texture =).


No comments:

Post a Comment