Monday, July 5, 2010

Remembering the home..

HOME, in my definition it is a place where we stay and rest with our family or beloved one, and a place to store our personal property. After reading the Mies Van de Rohe's "the house that made Mies", I totally agree with it as home has always influenced my thinking on design.

Actually I don't have a fix house, I have shifted to many houses since i was born. When i was born to this world, I live in Brunei, I still remember I stay in a "long house", which is a staff quarter with my family and also other neighbours as well, everyone stays at a same house, as that was the cheapest house to stay in Brunei. I still remember the house was very long and i can run here and there, its like i have a very big space to do what i want! And I always play with the few kids behind my house, which there was a yard there. The house was different with Dayak House, as it is built with bricks and painted with white colour painting. Its like a modern style of rumah panjang, but slightly shorter than rumah panjang.

Till when im 5 years old, we have move back to Malaysia, and that time we stay at my grandpa's house in PJ. My grandpa's house was a terraced house, I have not much memory about that house because we were like staying there in short term, till we shift to other place at Damansara Jaya, which my parents had rent a single-storey house there. That time was the time where my mum starts her own business, which is a saloon, so its like we were staying in a home-based business house, my mum started with a single saloon bed as her first working space in a room, there was where i learnt how my mum and my dad arrange a working space in such a small house, just a single bed, with some saloon products, lighting, and curtain to cover up to make it feel very cozy and relaxing.

Soon the time passed, from a house to a shop, and finally we have our own house to stay which is a true HOME to us, in my memory, i love this place so much, its more to classical concept. Most of the furniture were made of timber, something like Pakistan furniture, with a lot of craving decoration on it, and there was an antique gramophone as well. The whole place made me feel so relaxing, and that was where i started to love timber material, because it gave me a comfort feeling. Besides, I have a garden at my backyard, as my parents likes gardening, it has a table and chair there for chit chatting purpose as well. Overall it gave me a back to nature feeling, somehow, now we are no longer staying there, as it was too far for us to work from the place, hence now we are staying in a double stories house, which is just a simple but nice.

Although the house now is not as comfort as the house before, still home is home, as long there is my family, im happy with it, because a house without family or beloved one is not a home yet. I really appreciate the moment i had throughout my life in different type of houses=).

No comments:

Post a Comment